Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Experiences and thoughts about digital cultures.

I have been quite involved within digital cultures since I first got online. I was around ten when I got into my first chat room and my first acquaintance with other people in cyberspace. I found this extremely exciting since I now could communicate with other people than those I hung out with. Even though I enjoyed this service I was very restricted and did not trust people I did not knew. With false names and secret acronyms I started to investigate these areas. This way I got the opportunity to take on whatever disguise I wished and those I talked to had no chance to uncover me. This, I argue, could be a good thing, but also a bad thing, because people do not have to reveal themselves to strangers, but at the same time you never know who you talk to online.

My first impression of digital cultures was in an area containing only textual information, but I also have some experience in visual areas as well. In communities like second life one takes the shape of an avatar and is then allowed to move, look, talk, and do other actions in this version of virtual community. As a result the human interaction with technology is brought to a completely new level, especially when it comes to communication.

As I have grown older, my interest in what I now can refer to as digital cultures has developed as well and I am no longer as restricted as I used to be. Or, when I think about I do not mind giving out my name, age and address on my own web site, but I do not feel comfortable giving out my name in a chat room, or MUD. I do not know, because it is basically the same. People may as well visit my site or my blog to figure out who I am and where I live. Perhaps I do not trust the technologies. Perhaps I am simply old fashioned. Anyhow I in some way use the technologies of digital cultures each day, and it sure has become a huge part of my everyday life.

No comments: